Admissions Requirements : Advanced Placement Program (APP)
The highly competitive Advanced Placement Program (APP) enables students with the right coursework to complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree in five semesters. Approximately forty students are selected each year for the program.
In order to be eligible for APP, a student must:
- Successful completion of the following college-preparatory course work while in high school or the college equivalent with a grade of "C" or better. A ‘C-’ will not be accepted.
- 4 Units English
- 3 Units Mathematics (including Algebra II)
- 3 Units Laboratory Science (including Biology & Chemistry)
- 3 Units Social Science
- 2 Units Foreign Language (sign language accepted)
- 1 Unit Visual or Performing Art
- Possess a minimum cumulative college GPA, based on all coursework taken, of a 3.0
- Successfully complete, with a grade of "C" or better, the entire Mount Carmel freshman and sophomore curriculum. Exceptions to this requirement are Nursing 204, 205, and 206.
Required Freshman Courses
- *SCIE 123: Anatomy & Physiology I
- *SCIE 124: Anatomy & Physiology II
- *SCIE 103: Organic Biochemistry
- *SCIE 125: Microbiology
- English Composition
- PSY 101: General Psychology
- SOC 101: Introduction to Sociology
- HUMN 110: Comparative Religions
Required Sophomore Courses
- *SCIE 220: Nutrition
- PSY 225: Human Growth & Development
- *SCIE 230 & 231: Physiologic Alterations I & II
*Credit will not be granted for science courses completed at another institution which are more than five years old.
**Science course taken 5 or more years ago will not be accepted as transfer credit.