Second Degree Accelerated Program Commencement
The graduate nursing pin symbolizes education and service to others. In 1860, Florence Nightingale began the first professional school for nurses - The Nightingale School of Nursing at St. Thomas Hospital in London. She wanted the graduates to be recognized and respected, so she designed a pin to be worn on their uniforms. The first pins presented in the United States were to the graduating class of 1880 at The Bellevue Hospital School of Nursing in New York City. By 1916 the practice of pinning new nurses was common throughout the United Kingdom and North America.
The tradition continues today as each nursing education institution awards to its graduates a uniquely designed pin that symbolizes completion of the program. Faculty bestow the pin upon graduates in a ceremony that heralds entry into the nursing profession and welcomes new graduates as colleagues ready for the challenge of meeting the healthcare needs of the community.