Master’s Program FAQ
What programs of study do you offer in the Master of Science program?
We offer several tracks towards earning a master’s degree here at the College. They include:
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner – 48 cr. hrs.
- Family Nurse Practitioner – 48 cr. hrs.
- Nursing Leadership - Clinical Operations – 33 cr. hrs.
Do all programs of study require clinical experience?
Yes, each one of our master’s tracks requires a specific number of hours spent in the clinical setting. The number of hours required for each track is:
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner – 650 hrs.
- Family Nurse Practitioner – 500 hrs.
- Nursing Leadership - Clinical Operations – 150 hrs.
- Post-Graduate Nursing Education – 150 hrs.
When can I apply?
Applications are accepted through May 30
How can I apply?
If you wish to apply you may complete our online application or you may download and complete the PDF version.
Who all is required to submit TOEFL scores?
TOEFL scores must be submitted by international students whose native language is not English.
I have taken ESL classes. Will you accept those instead?
No. You must take the TOEFL.
I have lived in the U.S. for several years now and do speak English. Do I still have to take the TOEFL?
This is at the discretion of the Director of Admissions. Please contact the Admissions Office if this is the case.
Is financial aid available?
Yes, federal loans and grant programs are available to students. Please be sure to complete your FAFSA and have it sent to Mount Carmel in order to determine what you are eligible for. Mount Carmel’s code for the FAFSA is 030719. Also, a limited number of scholarships are available.
How long does it take to get a Master of Science degree?
18 months (5 semesters).
Are any courses available online?
Graduate core courses are taught online. The Master of Science in Nursing Leadership – Clinical Operations and the post-graduate certificate offerings – Nursing Leadership-Clinical Operations, Nursing Education and Accelerated AG-ACNP offered completely online.
If I already have a master’s degree, can I earn a Certificate in any of your Master’s programs?
Yes you can. The type of certificates available and the number of credit hours required in order to earn it include:
- Adult Gero/Acute – 24 cr. hrs.†*
- Family Nurse Practitioner – 24 cr. hrs.*
- Nursing Education – 12 cr. hrs.
- Nursing Leadership - Clinical Operations – 21 cr. hrs.
† Must already have a NP certification in Family or Adult NP
* If you have not previously taken courses work in Advanced Pharmacology, Advanced Physiology/Pathophysiology and Advanced Health Assessment you will be required to complete 9 hrs. of direct care core courses in order to receive the Nurse Practitioner certificate.
For all certificate programs: Total credit hour requirements for completion of the certificate program is determined by individual candidate transfer credits through official transcript review.