Many visitors to our campus are aware that the history of Mount Carmel College of Nursing goes back more than 110 years to the founding of the Mount Carmel School of Nursing. But if “seeing is believing,” then visitors, students, staff and many others will know for sure when a new “History of Mount Carmel Excellence in Nursing Education Mural” is installed in the Mount Carmel Health Sciences Library.
Thanks to a generous grant from the Mount Carmel Foundation, this history mural – featuring a timeline from 1886, when the founders of Mount Carmel Hospital invited the Sisters of the Holy Cross to Columbus to manage the new hospital, to 2014, when MCCN President/Dean Ann Schiele, PhD, RN, transitions to President Emeritus status, (see below: Our Visionary Leader Transitions) – is made possible.
Photographs from the founding of the School of Nursing, through mid-century, to present day will visibly demonstrate milestones and achievements through the years. To be installed in early 2014, the mural is the final stage of the archives/memorabilia exhibit (see photo above) that was unveiled at the Annual Alumni in October.
The process of completing this project was a collaborative effort. Mount Carmel Alumni Association members, Judi Hollern Brown '75 and Pat Steele Skunda '72, worked closely with director of MCCN Fund Development, Jan Burkey, who championed this project through the Mount Carmel Foundation, and also with Stevo Roksandic, MBA, MLIS, director of the Mount Carmel Health Sciences Library, and others, collecting information for the mural and preparing the exhibit.
The mural, detailing our evolutionary first century, will be unveiled in early 2014. Please read more about the exhibit and mural in the Winter 2014 issue, the LAMP.