Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,
Congratulations to all of our graduating students who are now taking their places among the more than 6,500 members of the Mount Carmel alumni! All the ceremonies that celebrate and commemorate what Mount Carmel College of Nursing is all about were a lovely conclusion to the Academic Year 2017—2018. I so enjoyed participating in each one:
- The Blessing and Hooding Ceremony for our Graduate program on May 3 was doubly moving because 2018 is the first year that MCCN conferred the Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. It was lovely seeing all of our graduate students receive their hoods!
- And, I truly loved seeing our BSN graduates – those in the pre-licensure traditional program, as well as experienced professional nurses in the Online RN-BSN program – receive their beautiful gold pin at the Undergraduate Pinning and Recognition.
- All of our students’ – and faculty members’ – hard work culminated on Saturday, May 5, with the 112th Commencement ceremony. It was such a pleasure to be invited as your 2018 Commencement speaker and meet so many family members and friends who were present to wish you well.
Now, as everyone departs for the summer, I want to assure you that work continues apace on several key projects that ensure MCCN’s reputation for nursing education excellence is maintained and enhanced:
- The Presidential Search Committee is very grateful to all who participated in meeting and talking with two candidates who visited our campus. The committee continues to review evaluation forms from the visits and I will keep you updated. At this point, however, I want you to know that it has been my extreme pleasure to have served as your interim president, and I am certain that whomever serves you next will be greeted and assisted with the same level of fellowship and collegiately you have extended to me.
- Also, our development of a comprehensive Strategic Plan focusing on Defining Vision and Strategic Direction is moving forward as planned. Todd Everett, director of Financial Aid, will keep you updated on the strategic planning website: http://www.mccn.edu/about/strategic-planning.
Finally, I know that your calendars are already marked for these important kickoffs to the 2018—2019 Academic Year:
- August 7 – Immediately following the breakfast, Frieda Gill, MS, RN, CCRN, will conduct a conference – “Faculty Professional Development Day,” which will conclude at 4:30 p.m.
- August 9 – Convocation begins the new academic year. Please assemble in the College Lounge – in full regalia – by 8:30 a.m.
- August 13, 2018 – First day of Fall Semester, Columbus campus
- August 27, 2018 – First day of Fall Semester, OU-L campus
- August 27, 2018 – Annual Mount Carmel Foundation Golf Invitational benefiting MCCN
- September 10, 2018 – Scholarship Dinner
- September 26, 2018 – Excellence in Nursing
Ann Marie T. Brooks, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN, FACHE, FNAP
Interim President, Mount Carmel College of Nursing